Welcome to Woodworks Made Easy

Practice any art, however well or badly, not to get money and fame, but to find out what's inside you.
--- Kurt Vonnegut

Pictures are meant to be self explanatory, and for visual clarity you may
click on each photo to enlarge. For older projects see Blog Archive. I don't specialize on a particular genre so there is quite a variety of projects for a number of different interests.

Even if you are not a woodworker but you like some or all of the projects, have your local crafts person make them for you from the ideas and photos you see here. For a particular project just click the specific title on the Blog Archive list (right side column below).

For anyone willing to learn or begin to do woodworking for the first time, please read first from the Blog Archive, "How and Where to Begin a Woodworking Hobby.

And it is not for men only. Read my note on "Women in Woodworking" from Blog Archive, April 2010.


click on each photo to enlarge


Tuesday, August 11, 2020

YouTube Made (Under-Table) Jigsaw

This is an interesting project mainly because it is a composite of several ideas I picked up from YouTube where other woodworking enthusiasts unselfishly share their ideas for the benefits of many.  I picked what I decided were the good features from about five differently made projects to turn it into what is shown below.

Let me back up.  When I started filling up my small (or petite) workshop years ago there was one tool that I skipped.  Ordinarily, for the majority of DIY woodworkers, they would add the band saw as near last major tool after all the basic machines have been put in. A band saw as the name suggests uses a cutting blade that is a long flat metal band full of teeth over two opposite large pulleys with a downward cutting motion. It will cut curves, circles and slice large pieces into narrower boards.  However, a good band saw is not cheap and it takes up a large volume of space.

Aside from not having the space nor a desire to spend the money, I mainly favor straight lines for my projects in the majority of my blog.  Occasionally if I needed to cut curves or circles I use a hand held jig saw or a router.

Then I saw on YouTube several folks who permanently attached their hand held jigsaw under a platform with just the cutting blade protruding on the surface.  It is a reciprocating cut (blade runs up and down) that looked really interesting. So, instead of running the jigsaw blade over the work piece, one holds down on the work piece with both hands and run it across the reciprocating blade. This allows for far better control and accuracy.  The one thing the band saw cannot do is make an inside cut because of the inherent limitation of a continuous band.  The jigsaw can cut curves and more importantly it can cut from within after a hole is made with a drill from the inside of a work piece.

The challenge is incorporating the design features I picked to work together into a small package, using common material (scrap wood mostly) and turned it into one safe coherent machine that looks nice and truly functional.  I spent many hours not from the actual work but from designing and re-designing it, even changing a part or two midstream, and time even in bed, or waking up in the middle of the night, going over and over the details in my head.

At last, it is finished and miraculously it works. The over arm has an adjustable range to move forward and backward and the support column can be raised upwards or downwards (according to the blade height).  Both are removable. And the ball bearing guides can be adjusted to the thickness of the blade.

 

Many years ago, maybe in the late '80s or '90s, long before online sales, I purchased a hand held jigsaw with a CP (Chicago Pneumatic) label on it. The salesman told me over the phone that the tool that was made in Germany was being discontinued by the manufacturer. Chicago Pneumatic bought a lot of their remaining inventory and put in their own (CP) label on it. The third photo below is that of a Festool jigsaw I purchased a few years ago.  I suspect that, based on the near similarity of design, this new tool was perhaps the newer re-designed tool.  I don't know that for sure.  Anyway, the CP jigsaw was powerful but heavy and not easy to maneuver.  So, I basically "benched" it into storage.  Until recently when this idea came up; hence, the reason for the project  






I removed the shoe to better make a good accurate fit into the bottom of the platform.











The jigsaw as shown from below the platform


With vacuum hose attachment











This was all worth it and glad to have spent the hours making it.  This will not necessarily compel me to cut more curves but it is there when I need to and I know it will serve me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment