Welcome to Woodworks Made Easy

Practice any art, however well or badly, not to get money and fame, but to find out what's inside you.
--- Kurt Vonnegut

Pictures are meant to be self explanatory, and for visual clarity you may
click on each photo to enlarge. For older projects see Blog Archive. I don't specialize on a particular genre so there is quite a variety of projects for a number of different interests.

Even if you are not a woodworker but you like some or all of the projects, have your local crafts person make them for you from the ideas and photos you see here. For a particular project just click the specific title on the Blog Archive list (right side column below).

For anyone willing to learn or begin to do woodworking for the first time, please read first from the Blog Archive, "How and Where to Begin a Woodworking Hobby.

And it is not for men only. Read my note on "Women in Woodworking" from Blog Archive, April 2010.


click on each photo to enlarge


Saturday, April 7, 2018

Making a Handle for a Rasp (File)

Good quality rasps are usually sold bare (no handle). I've also purchased old ones from the flea market and they're also often bare (and rusted, of course). I've restored those and made handles for them. Back then I simply drilled a hole, filled it with a mixture of glue and fine sawdust and insert the rasp handle. I did it differently this time

This is the finished rasp with handle
Even on commercially made handles, the process is the same - holes are drilled and the tool is forced into.  Naturally, the handles are reinforced with metal rings to prevent splitting. My version avoids that much stress by the channel method as you will see. 



I started with a couple of identical work pieces

On the table saw I created a channel on each piece, the width being that of the narrowest section of the rasp handle and the depth was half the thickness of the metal handle.

Using narrow chisels I tapered the channel to conform to the taper on the rasp handle


The two pieces were glued, making sure the tapers are on the same end


After the glue had dried I drilled two - 3/16 inch holes. I tapped two short 3/16 inch dowels through.

With a sharp chisel I tapered a slightly larger piece of walnut to cap the square channel hole at the end




After the glued dried I merely cut off the excess

Let me back up to how the rasp was inserted into the handle; see next photos. 


I've used this "concoction" before - a putty made by mixing a dab of wood glue with find sanding dust. I tapped the tapered end of the rasp ever so lightly while smearing a section, as shown, with the putty.


Once dried the "construction" is finished. The end cap and the now hardened putty will seal off any moisture from entering the interior channel.




You know you did a good job of centering the rasp to the handle when it stands upright, like so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment