Welcome to Woodworks Made Easy

Practice any art, however well or badly, not to get money and fame, but to find out what's inside you.
--- Kurt Vonnegut

Pictures are meant to be self explanatory, and for visual clarity you may
click on each photo to enlarge. For older projects see Blog Archive. I don't specialize on a particular genre so there is quite a variety of projects for a number of different interests.

Even if you are not a woodworker but you like some or all of the projects, have your local crafts person make them for you from the ideas and photos you see here. For a particular project just click the specific title on the Blog Archive list (right side column below).

For anyone willing to learn or begin to do woodworking for the first time, please read first from the Blog Archive, "How and Where to Begin a Woodworking Hobby.

And it is not for men only. Read my note on "Women in Woodworking" from Blog Archive, April 2010.


click on each photo to enlarge


Thursday, April 5, 2018

More Micro Projects fob (Car remote) and Wallet Cradle

I throw away a lot of scrap wood except for a binful of hardwoods. From time to time when inspiration strikes I would dig a handful from there and do a micro project. In woodworking micro projects, on a per pound or per volume basis, do demand an inordinate amount of patience and attention to detail compared to the bigger projects. Most importantly, it is the small projects where safety is big. Handling (securing) the small pieces when using power tools do require more of the woodworker's attention and experience. 

From the perspective of utility or the presence of alternatives to these particular small projects, I must admit and agree with those who will say or think the obvious, that these belong to the category of overkill. As you will see, a saucer, an empty box, a plastic receptacle, even coffee mugs, etc. will do what these projects were made for. 

What is undeniable is that a little organization at home is a good thing. More than once I had driven away without my wallet (and driver's licence). Forgetting to have my mobile phone, while not too crucial, is not an uncommon occurrence.  I had driven once quite a ways only to come back home and realize I did not have my wallet, hence having driven without a license.  So, these little projects are visual aids that will locate the three items I need to have before heading out the back door/garage - a live 3-D visual checklist all in one place. No more, "Where are my keys, my phone, my wallet?"

This is too much, one might say, but it works for me. My wife says, her purse takes care of all these ... well, to each his or her own.

I won't fib about missing the fob every once in a while'


Creating  the channel on a piece of scrap hardwood.

Checking to make sure the measurements were correct.

Three parts from that one single piece



One single screw and a dab of glue are good enough for this joinery



One down, one more to go (next photos)

This scrap was a flooring cut off a friend gave me a while back.



A digital angle gauge makes for an accurate positioning of the saw blade.

This sled I made several years ago is one of the most useful jigs that continue to do its job.

I will not venture to cut small work pieces without this sled.



The scraper I bought for $5 ($40 brand new) at the flea market still does the job it was intended to do and well.

The table saw sled cutting a short work piece safely

Only way I'd do this operation safely with the router bit spinning at 16000 RPM. Work piece is clamped to another shop made pushing sled



Note: the square fixture where the work piece sits is shop made but worth every square inch when handling small pieces.

Screws from the bottom will not be visible from the top.





A small table by the back door is the permanent spot for these three. However, like I said, there are countless ways to organize them. A bowl, a cigar box, anything to hold these items will do - a woodworker is merely looking for a reason to cut, glue, sand and finish because he or she can. 



These micro projects are big at keeping things in their places and making them easy to find. I wish I can have everything this well organized but the truth is I have barely began to scratch the surface, but it is a start. Trust me, I am constantly fighting disorganization but dealing with chaos is the bane of every woodworker. The byproducts of woodworking are scrap wood, sawdust (including sanding dust) and completed projects; or some not so successfully done (which adds more to the scrap heap). Saw dust goes to the compost heap, I throw away most scrap wood but if I must keep some I need to do something with them; otherwise, what is the point.



No comments:

Post a Comment